Saturday, 26 December 2009

Joan's Jouney IX. Almost finished

.
My mom holding me, next to her sister and baby, Bolton Street, Dublin


Well, I suppose I should bring my little excursion to a close. How should I bring down the curtain successfully? I thank the reader for taking the trouble to read my memories of a very interesting life. On reflection, I cannot say that I would have changed anything in my later years. I certainly wish that I had experienced a little less poverty in the earlier days, but having said that, I believe it taught me to appreciate the real values in life.

It is true that we all need that little extra, but not an excess of material things, in order to enjoy a level of contentment. During my journey, I have met many fellow travellers, good people who have enriched my life and looked after me over the years. Often, due to the pace of our lives, we sometimes take our loved ones for granted and are seldom able to show them the gratitude they truly deserve. The opportunity is lost forever and that is one of the sad things of our short existence. When I was sixteen years old and Geoff was eighteen, we began walking out together and we have taken care of each other for well over half a century. We have been blessed with six wonderful children, who have all joined together with loving partners and have themselves lived very full and successful lives; every one has made us very proud of their achievements. We now look with confidence to the next generation, and our thirteen lovely grandchildren. We can only pray that they achieve happiness and contentment and have as good, if not better lives than past generations.

I thank Geoff for our very full life together and for all the riches of life and love we have shared. Having read about my journey, I’m sure the reader will conclude that, I would not be the person I am today, had it not been for my wonderful Mother. We knew that with Mother there beside us, whatever the trials and tribulations we faced, we would come through safely to the other side. I still remember two of her famous sayings, when things were not going so well. “I must have the patience of Job” and “count to ten”. I can only say, Mother, you were a saint. I know you are looking down from heaven, because you deserve to be there. So almost at my journey’s end, my final words have got to be:

“Thank you Mom”.


Joan Millington nee. Lawlor

.

No comments:

Post a Comment