Sunday, 10 January 2010

Our great grandparents, Denis Lawlor and Kate Cushion

.
Denis Lawlor ( known as ' Pop ' ) was a labourer . He was father of my grandfather , James Christopher , and grandfather of my mother , Joan Patricia . Denis was born at Ballydavis in County Laoise on the 26th February 1869 , his father was Michael Lalor , a labourer from Ballydavis and his mother was Mary Lalor ( nee. Delany ) . The birth was registered on 12th March 1869 by his father Michael . Denis Lawlor died on 7th March 1947 aged 78 .

From examination of the International Genealogical Index ( IGI ) we are able to ascertain that Denis had at least one sister , Margaret , who was born on 10th July 1864 in the EMO district of Queens , and one older brother , James , who was born on 29th August 1866 ( also in the EMO district of Queens ) . The parents of these children were Michael Lalor and Mary Delany and we can guess that this couple married sometime in the late 1850s / early 1860s .

Ballydavis in the 1911 census

We know that by 1911, Denis and Catherine Lawlor (nee. Kate Cushian) had moved out of the very rural farming area of Queens County and were in likelihood struggling to bring up their young family in the country's capital city Dublin. 1911 was just five years before the Irish uprising and the siege of the General Post Office in 1916 and conditions all over Ireland were harsh.

The village of Ballydavis where Denis Lalor (Lawlor) was born was in Queens County just a couple of miles away from Kilminchy, the home village of Kate Cushian. In the 1911 there were three Lawlor families in residence in Ballydavis, at least one of which stands a good chance of being James, the brother of Denis:

Number 3 house in Ballydavis (Shaen, Queens Co.)

James Lawlor, aged 44, head of family, Roman Catholic, born in Queens County, Agricultural labourer, can read and write

Eliza Lawlor, aged 41, wife, born in Queens County, a dress maker, married for 17 years, can read and write, 5 living children

Mary Lawlor, aged 16, daughter, born in Queens County, general servant domestic, can read and write Irish and English, single

Peter Lawlor, aged 13, son, born Queens County, scholar, can read and write Irish and English

Bridget Lawlor, aged 5, daughter, born in Queens County, scholar, can read

House number 11 in Ballydavis (Shaen, Queen's Co.)

Patrick Lawlor, aged 63, head of family, Roman Catholic, small farmer, can read and write, single, birthplace Ireland

Michael Lawlor, aged 60, brother of head of family, born in Ireland, carpenter, can read and write, single

Catherine Lawlor, aged 65, sister, born Ireland, can read and write, single, no children

House number 28 in Ballydavis (Shaen, Queen's County)

William Lalor, aged 74, head of family, Roman Catholic, born Queens County, farmer, can read and write, married

Eliza Lawlor, aged 70, wife, married 37 years, born Queens County, can read and write, 8 children born - 3 living

James Lalor, aged 36, son, single, farmers son (occupation), born Queens County, can read and write

Mary Lalor, aged 23, daughter, born Queens County, can read and write, single , no children

In the close proximity to Ballydavis, there were these other families in the 1911 census:

House number 3 in Derrygarran (Shaen, Queen's Co.):

Daniel Fennelly, aged 86, head of family, Roman Catholic farmer, born in Queens County, widower

Williamm Fennelly, aged 39 born in Queens County, farmers son, single

Daniel Fennelly, aged 31, born in Queen's, son, single

Annie Fennelly, aged 26, daughter, born in Queen's, single

House number 4 in Straboe (Shaen, Queen's Co)

Mary Cashin, aged 68, head of family, House keeper, born Queens County, widow, 5 children - 3 survived, Roman Catholic

William Cashin, aged 33 son, born Queens County, ex-grocers assistant, single

Mary Cashin, aged 31, daughter, born Queen's, single

Catherine Cushian

The wife of Denis Lawlor was Catherine Cushian whose birth was registered in the Registrar's District of Maryborough in the Union of Mountmellick on 23rd May 1874 ( Reference ' Vol 8. Pg 634 ' number 15 ) . Catherine was born in Kilmenchey in the County of Queens ( now Laois ) on 26th April 1874 . Her father was Thomas Cushian , a labourer , and her mother was Mary Cushian , nee. Fennelly .

Catherine died on 26th October 1965 aged 91 .

The IGI reveals the reference for only one possible sister of Catherine Cushian ; a Julia Cushian was born to Mary Finally and Thomas Cushian of Maryborough on 14th January 1865 , making Julia nine years older than her younger sister Catherine . It is highly probable that Thomas and Mary produced many more children than just these two . Like their in-laws , the Lalors , this couple probably married in the early 1860s .

In the 1911 census these Cushin families lived in the Maryborough district:

House number 1 at Ballyclider (Maryborough Rural, Queens Co.):

Anne Cushin, aged 78, widow, born Queens County, farmer

Michael Cushin, aged 46, born Queens, farmers son, single, no children

Mary Cushin, aged 40, daughter, born Queens county, single, no children

Andrew Cushin, aged 21, grandson, born Queens County, single, farmer's son

House number 2 in Ballyclider

Thomas Cushin, aged 44, head of family , born Queens, married, farmer, Roman Catholic

Lizzie Cushin, aged 34, wife, born Queens County, married 7 years

Michael Johnson, farm servant, aged 20, born Dublin, single

The family of Thomas Cushion and Mary Finally

Jim Byrne lives in Cork and is descended from Thomas and Mary Finally, who are my great great grandparents. His grandmother, Mary Cushion was my great grandmother's sister (Kate Cushion). Mary Cushion married John James Glavin and they had six sons and one daughter (see information in earlier post below).

My thanks to Jim for providing us with this new information about the family of Thomas Cushion and Mary Finally:

"Thomas Cushion and Mary Finally had at least six children, but as records only began in 1864, there could have been more.

"Julia Cushion was born on 15-01-1865 and died in 1908, she was married to a Joseph Woodward in Cork. Next was Patrick 18-06-67. William 25-05-69. Mary (Glavin) 1872 - 1955. Catherine (Lawlor) 1874-1965 and Elizabeth 01-07-76. As yet I have no record for Elizabeth and her two brothers. There were Cushions in Preston, an Annie Cushion who died in 1915 aged 42 years, I need to find out where she fits in.

"Thomas Cushion died on the 8th of September 1893, and his wife (Mary Finally) who had predeceased him died on the fifth of May 1887, their address was Kilminchy, Maryborough".

An update from Jim Byrne (January 28th 2010):

"Update on Annie and Patrick Cushion : - I have made contact with a Billy Adams who lives in Preston, Billy is Annie's grandson, and Billy has sourced the Church record of Annie's baptism which took place on the 6th of May 1862 in Ireland, she is the child of Thomas Cushion and Mary Fennally, note the change from Mary Finally to Fennally, this is quite a common occurance as on the records after 1864 Cushion is also written as Cushian, even on the the same page listing parents and children. This confirms my suspicion that there was an older child born before records began in 1864. Billy Adams remembers James Lawlor coming from Birmingham and staying with them, James was a nephew of Annie's. Annie died in 1935 in Preston.


Patrick Cushions wife Annie died in 1915 (aged 42) they had a daughter Molly, Molly's married name was Pails, they had four children two boys and two girls, some of whom are believe to be still alive, Billy is currently researching this line. More cousins for you Pete."

11 comments:

  1. I've just been looking at your blog and would be interested in creating a link to it from my Laois Genealogy website at http://www.laoisgenealogy.com. I have no interest in your surnames, but I do have a particular interest in the genealogy of Co. Laois in particular.

    Your blog is the best laid out Family History blog I have ever seen, and also better laid out, more easily navigable and understandable than any Family History website I have ever seen in all my years on the net.

    Regards,
    Jane Lyons

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jane, that is really generous of you to make these lovely comments. It is my aim to lay out my family history in a narrative form so people can relate to the lives of our ancestors rather than it just being an ancestor collecting exercise.

    My mother-in-law lives between Clara and Moate so my wife and I have often driven down into Laois when we are in the area, including on one occasion I had her clambering after me over the remains of the castle at Dunamese in search of the O'Lalors!!

    Yes to a link by the way.... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the ok :-) I run a mail list as well and after taking a look at your blog I sent an email to it saying what I'd said to you, and advising people to take a look even if only to learn what they can do with information they have.

    I wasn't being generous in what I said,I was being honest. It is the best I've seen.

    I've created the link but I don't know your name to credit you with the blog, it'll be a day or two before I upload the page again so if you'd like to tell me your name, then please do.

    Today, when I came back, I noticed a link for Laois Genealogy and it was lonly when I followed it I found that it was my site, so, thank you for that. Much appreciated. I found you 'cos of a Google Blog Alert I have for Laois Genealogy and it's the first decent link Google ever sent me.

    I'm based in Abbeyleix Heritage House most the time these days. We're working to make it a Genealogy Centre for the county.

    In case you are interested in figures - In 1901 there were approx 80 'Lalor' families in the county; 18 'Lawler' ; and 64 'Lawlor'. It's approx 'cos there are a few bits of the census not on film so I've not indexed those heads.

    Anyway, thanks again for the ok and best of luck with all your research
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Jane.... Pete Millington (that's me)

    ReplyDelete
  5. and from this point Pete is where I get lost! in hat I'm seeing things I didn't before :-) You're miles ahead of me. Glad to see your name and your main website appear on this one. That photo isn't you, is it?

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pete.
    Re Cushions.
    Thomas Cushion and Mary Finally had at least six children, but as records only began in 1864, there could have been more.
    Julia Cushion was born on 15-01-1865 and died in 1908, she was married to a Joseph Woodward in Cork. Next was Patrick 18-06-67. William 25-05-69. Mary (Glavin) 1872 - 1955. Catherine (Lawlor) 1874-1965 and Elizabeth 01-07-76. As yet I have no record for Elizabeth and her two brothers. There were Cushions in Preston, an Annie Cushion who died in 1915 aged 42 years, I need to find out where she fits in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pete.
    Thomas Cushion died on the 8th of September 1893, and his wife (Mary Finally)who had predeceased him died on the fifth of May 1887, their address was Kilminchy, Maryborrough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this Jim! Are you Jim Byrne I had contact with a couple of years back? I must apologise for never getting back to you as I had a computer crash and lost the email you sent me. So I am delighted you have traced me through my blog. I will add your information onto the web pages soon. But fantastic to hear from you Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pete.
    Update on Annie and Patrick Cushion : - I have made contact with a Billy Adams who lives in Preston, Billy is Annie's grandson, and Billy has sourced the Church record of Annie's baptism which took place on the 6th of May 1862 in Ireland, she is the child of Thomas Cushion and Mary Fennally, note the change from Mary Finally to Fennally, this is quite a common occurance as on the records after 1864 Cushion is also written as Cushian, even on the the same page listing parents and children. This confirms my suspicion that there was an older child born before records began in 1864. Billy Adams remembers James Lawlor coming from Birmingham and staying with them, James was a nephew of Annie's. Annie died in 1935 in Preston.
    Patrick Cushions wife Annie died in 1915 (aged 42) they had a daughter Molly, Molly's married name was Pails, they had four children two boys and two girls, some of whom are believe to be still alive, Billy is currently researching this line. More cousins for you Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Pete, its Breda here from the old homestead of 92 Walsh Rd. Was talking to Jim Byrne from Cork a few weeks ago and he gave me your brummie site to find out information on the Lawlors and Cushions and i have certainly discovered a lot of information from you. My brother Vincent!s son "Kieran O Gorman" who is starting hes family tree asked me if i would have any information de could use so now i am glad to say i can refer him to your site which is really the best i have seen. Wish i had you to track the Gorman side of my family ha ha.Say hello to your man and dad from me hope they are keeping well, Breda (O Reilly)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breda!!!

    So sorry I have not seen your post before today (in October). I was just back tracking. Wonderful to hear from you. Joan will be delighted. I will be in touch. Let me know if I can help on the Gorman Side - I am never one to turn down a genealogical challenge!!

    Love to everyone. I have warm memories of meeting you all in the early and late 90s and have some great video footage of Aunt Lily singing Danny Boy at the home out at Howth.

    Love to you all

    Pete

    xxx

    ReplyDelete