Monday, 5 April 2010

Burials at St Josephs

Further to Ian Payne's emailed information below, these are some of the burials listed at St Josephs church yard which could be relevant to our research (I have included references to people surnamed Duffy, Hogan and Flynn which are surnames we come across elsewhere in this record - these may or may not be connected to our tree) and I have also included the tombs containing Mary's older brother John Finn and an unknown person named John Burke and the one containing Mary's daughter Elizabeth Hughes and her husband John. The number is the page reference of the fiche indexed at:

http://www.hunimex.com/warwick/mi/mi_brum_nechells.html#

Monumental Inscriptions for Nechells, Birmingham

St. Joseph's R.C. Church

Burke

John Allen 10

Duffy

Elizabeth 31
Frances 7
James 31
John 31
Katie 31
Michael Joseph 31
Patrick 31
Teresa 31

Finn

John 10

Flynn

Elizabeth 28
J M Rev 28
John 28

Hogan

Mary 17

Hughes

Elizabeth 10
John Alfred 10

Payne

Frederick 10**
Jane 10
Mary Jane 10*

Jamie Evans adds the following information to our  St Jospehs research:

"My mother always told me that my grandfather John Walter Walton 1886-1918 was buried in St Josephs Graveyard Nechells and I have spent many hours searching for any sign of his grave. St Josephs was the only Catholic Cemetery in the City back then. He actually died Hop Picking at Leigh in Worcestershire, I have tried local churchs in Leigh but with no joy.


A couple of years ago I contacted the Priest at St Josephs and he informed me that the page for the 1918 burials was missing from the Register and St Chads didnt have a copy. He added that in the war the graveyard was bombed causing much disruption and the loss of many tomb stones, so I have never been able to trace his grave, which I would dearly like to do.

His wife, my grandmother Martha Lily Walton (nee Henderson)1889-1934 is buried with her second husband in Olton Priory, (R.C.) Solihull". 
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment