Sunday, 6 June 2010

The day we went to...?




Thanks once again to Eileen (aka Sylvia) Weedon nee. Barraclough, for yet another fantastic photograph from the Nash family album. This one features Granny Caroline Nash (right of the tear at the top of the photo) presumably off on a trip on a Midland Red charabanc. Caroline Nash was my aunty Iris's grandmother. If a picture paints a thousand words then this one must definately tell an interesting story. I have seen quite a few of these charabanc photos turning up in Carl Chinn's Brummagem magazines, I think such trips out were quite common either for neighbourhood or works outings. Not sure if they made it as far as the seaside or not, perhaps someone can enlighten us, and also I wonder what happened when it rained?

Eileen emailed me:

"I took a copy of this Midland Red photo to the Black country museum and showed it to the man in the transport office, it was nearly ripped out of my hand! He loved it and was putting it up in thir mess room. He told me it was a charabanc not a coach as it had doors at the back for each seat. Granny Nash is on the right of the tear at the top. One of the others below is Mrs Dunne who looked after mum while Granny Wearing went to work".

Just remember, you can double left click on any of the photos on this website to see a close-up version. It's worth looking more closely at the photo above as there are some marvelous characters on the charabanc. I would love to know where they were heading.


Caroline Nash (1855-1951)

No comments:

Post a Comment