Thursday, 30 December 2010

CD of West Midlands records free with BBC magazine

I just purchased a copy of the January 2011 edition of the BBC's Who Do You Think You Are? magazine as there is a free CD of West Midlands records with this edition containing:

  • Two complete county directories of Staffordshire and Worcestershire for 1835
  • Birmingham and surrounding districts directory 1863
  • Birmingham memories - Personal Recollections of Birmingham and Birmingham Men 1877
  • Aston parish records 1554-1639
  • Misc. images of maps, records and photos from Birmingham and the Black Country
This lot'll keep me happy into the New Year! Plus the magazine itself has many interesting articles.

Once I've had a good hunt through the directories I will let you know if any of our ancestors are listed. Here's a little gem to start off with, an 1875 print of Brick Kiln Street. Elsewhere on my website we have a family of Finns listed at Brickiln Street in both the 1861 and 1871 Census:

An albumen print showing the corner of Brick Kiln Street and Stainforth Street, Birmingham in 1875. This set of prints was taken as part of the Birmingham Improvement Scheme. Image from the Birmingham Archives.


2 comments:

  1. Oh I love it when you find a great freebie! Hope you find some family info in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't help myself! Just looking at the scanned images of old documents presses buttons! It's a good thing to be obsessed about though!

    ReplyDelete