Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Emily Clayton, nee. Philips - back another generation

I have just been dabbling on the Ancestry.co.uk website. I have been paying a membership subscription for quite a few months now and have to say it is a very good website for access to a wide range of downloadable records such as birth, marriage, death and all the UK census records. I also use Find My Past a lot on a pay as you go basis, there's not a lot between the two sites for basic users like me.

Ancestry also offers the facility to build a tree online which I have avoided doing because I have already put a fairly substantial tree onto the Genes Reunited website. But tonight I thought I'll just try out a tree on Ancestry out of casual interest and I am very encouraged by it's features, such as throwing up links to online records as well as to other people's trees who have similar ancestors, literally within seconds of entering a new ancestor.

So, as much as I was avoiding it, I may have to spend a few hours (who am I kidding?) entering my complete tree onto Ancestry, simply because of the potential to get fresh leads and contacts so instantly. 

The reason I am blogging this information though is really to make a quick note of the fact I have been alerted to someone else's tree which provides useful information on both living relatives and linked ancestors. I won't identify the person until I have made contact with them, but just to say the tree owner is descended from Miriam Clayton, the daughter of Fred and Emily Clayton, nee. Phillips (Fred being my g-grand father's brother).

What is most intriguing for me in this research is the identification of Emily's parents, James Edel Phillips and Emily Barlow. James apparently born in Deritend in 1854. Regular followers of my blog may recall the recent post concerning an email from Mary Taylor who is descended from George and Emily Clayton (Emily being the daughter of Emily Wayne, nee. Philips) and my subsequent few posts which contained my tentative research into Emily's Jewish origins: 

http://brummiefamilytree.blogspot.com/2010/10/email-from-mary-taylor-relation-with.html

So this is potentially a great development as well as being another one of those interesting coincidences that seem to occur in the study of genealogy. I am convinced that genealogy is at least half as much about one's intuition as it is logical detective work. Having said that, I can see myself becoming more closely acquainted with http://www.ancestry.co.uk/ 

Watch this space as they say.

4 comments:

  1. I have been an ancestry user for about 3 years and found the pages and tree building much easier to work with than others.
    Links with other kin has been very worthwhile - the only frustration is it doesn't offer Irish records of any use.
    The Military pension records have been brilliant too - so have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may be wrong, but I think if you just save your tree in a gedcom file, you can just upload it to Ancestry and not have to retype it. I would call customer service for advice. Can't wait to see where your research leads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Pete

    I was recently nominated for an Ancestor Approved award by two fellow genealogy bloggers. One of the requirements of being given the award is to nominate a further 10 people. So I have nominated you. I really enjoy reading blog posts they are really interesting and varied.

    Anyway here's a link to my blog post about the award http://mikeydawson.wordpress.com/

    Mike
    You Don't Choose Your Family

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I have nominated your blog for the Ancestor Approved Award. You can learn more about this here http://anglersrest.blogspot.com/2011/01/ancestor-approved-award.html and here http://ancestorslivehere.blogspot.com/2010/03/ancestor-badge.html

    ReplyDelete