Saturday, 22 September 2012

More photos from the Whelan family album

I wish to thank once again some of my mother's cousins in Dublin, Ireland for letting me have copies of many more wonderful photographs featuring members of the Whelan family, especially ones featuring my grea grandparents, Anne and John Whelan, and their children and partners - the generation of my grand mother Elizabeth Lawlor nee. Whelan.
 
Bearing in mind that I have being doing family history research since the mid-1990s, up until about two years ago I had only a handful of photos featuring the Whelans which were passed into my keeping by my mother Joan. Since making contact with some of my mom's cousins, firstly Gaye Mulholland who came across this website through a Google search, then another cousin Sean Whelan, followed by Colette Gallagher (the daughter of my mom's cousin Mary Morrisey) I have been able to build up an extensive album of photos and documents never before seen on the English side of the Irish sea.
 
I should also thank Phylis Devlin in particular here who has shared many photos via Gaye and more recently Susan Dunne who sent me even more fantastic old photos earlier this week. The photos below are a mixture of pictures from Phylis and Susan. Again thank you so much to the Whelan family for your generosity and your warm welcome when I met family members this August at the Hilton Hotel in Dublin.      
  
 
Dick, Margaret & Dennis

Margaret and Mary (nan's sisters)

 From left - Pat Whelan, Eileen (Jimmy's wife), Granny Whelan & Bridie Donnelly who was blind and lived in 48 Bolton Street (Susan writes - I brought her dinner to her each Sunday - she was lovely)

To which my mother Joan added: "Bridie Donnelly! I remember her well, she was the first person I met who was blind, she used to put her hand over the flame on her stove to see if it was alight. Yes! she was lovely. What a lovely photo

 Susan Dunne wrote to me "Pete too many in this photo to mention but probably from others you will
get most but will just point out Collette's mum Maire Morrissey is 5th from right).

Susan (Dunne) is the tallest girl, her caption reads "mothering this gang every Sunday in
Bolton Street); Gaye & Helen & boys from left my brothers Frank, Robert, Richard and Philip"

No comments:

Post a Comment