Saturday, 2 March 2013

Evidence of 19th century grave robbery in West Bromwich

Archaeological excavations that show evidence of grave robbery in early 19th century West Bromwich was featured on the History Channel. The excavation took place at the graveyard the former Providence Chapel in Sandwell Road.

The chapel was built in 1810. By 1922 it had opened as The Sandwell Cinema. The cinema was demolished in the late 1950s and the whole site concreted over and incorporated into West Bromwich Corporation's depot just off the High Street, which itself was closed down shortly before the Providence Place development was due to start.

The programme features some of the techniques and practices adopted in the early 19th century to protect the bodies of the recently deceased from the body snatchers, who made a comfortable living digging up and selling corpses to the ever expanding medical and anatomy schools of Birmingham.

No comments:

Post a Comment