A phone directory of 1913 lists a number for P.Flanagan and sons, Saw Mills in Mullingar.
The 1911 census records a small family containing Joseph Patrick and Annie Flanagan residing at house 3, Harbour Street 1 (Mullingar North Urban). Joseph Patrick is 25 years old, Annie is 32 and the couple had been married for 5 years, but no children recorded. No trade was given although in the buildings return for the record, four outhouses were recorded, which suggests some business related activity. The third person in the household was Katie Coady, a visitor aged 28.
Two men named Patrick and Edward Flanagan are recorded in the Tithe Apportionment books of 1827, residing at Killanboy Legan in the town of Moate and the parish of Kilmanaghan. If we consider that Lawrence Flanagan’s father Patrick was born in 1839, then one of these men named in the Tithe books was probably his father.
The Irish Motor Directory and Motor Annual of 1911-12 lists both car and bicycle owners in Ireland. Edward J. Flanagan of Saw Mills, Moate is recorded as a bicycle owner.